Leon's Weblog

December 23, 2006

Using YP-T9 in Linux

Filed under: Gadgets — Leon @ 9:16 pm

YP-T9
After several years of using the MPIO FL100, my trusty old MP3 player was starting to show its age. It was time for a change and I decided to go with Samsung’s YP-T9. At first glance, this is a great player. Sleek design, 4GB of flash memory, great battery life, video, mic, and it has an FM-Tuner as well. The only kink in the armor is that the device only supports MTP file transfers. While this may not be an issue for most casual Windows users, it was a problem for me because I predominately use Linux. I was really starting to miss the FL100’s SD card slot.

First I tried libmtp which, at present, is the only library for MTP support in Linux. While this library already has support for dozens of MTP devices, support for my Yepp is still experimental. At least one user was able to successfully connect to his YP-T9 using this library but experienced problems with the last few bytes of each song being truncated. Since Amakor, my Linux audio player of choice, already had support for libmtp, I decided to give it a try. Being able to connect got my hopes up at first but I was soon greatly disappointed. The transfer crashed after each song, the songs were truncated by a few byte, and the songs did not appear in the player’s playlist (only in the file browser). Although I could live with some if these problems, transferring one song at a time is unacceptable. Updating the firmware didn’t help. I ended up having install the software that came with the device on my spare Windows laptop and reformat the drive because playing with libmtp left the filesystem in shambles.

My next attempt was to connect to the player from a Windows installation that I had under VMware on my desktop. I was able to browse the content of the device without any software or drivers (which some people online mistakenly though was UMS support) but as soon as I tried to copy a file to the device, Winblows crashed (no surprise there… thats why I use Linux). I think it was something to do with an address conflict between the host machine and VMware when connecting to the USB. I can connect to other UPS devices so I don’t know what made this one so special but, since the behavior occurred every time I tried to connect to the device, I decided to give up on the VMware approach. Powering up a virtual machine each time I wanted to connect to the MP3 player would have been a hassle anyway.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find any solutions to my problem online. However, there were a couple claims online that people were in fact using the YP-T9 as a UMS device. So, before sending the player back, I tried one last thing… flashing the firmware with the Asian version. Miraculously it worked! Appearantly, only the US version (YP-T9JAB) uses MTP while the equivalent device overseas (YP-T9BAB) is UMS. Even better is that the menus are still in English. Note that if you are going to do this, make sure to get the right firmware version (Samsung has a number of these players with different capacity and with Bluetooth support).

Now my YP-T9 is behaving beautifully and I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a quality MP3 player. Hope this helps someone in a similar predicament.

31 Comments »

1. Thanks for the Asian F/W tip. I found my firmware (YP-T9BQB,2GB) but how do I flash the player?

Comment by mike — March 10, 2007 @ 3:05 pm
  2. …It says to copy muon.rom/sysdata.bin to the root directory but Windows XP won’t let me do that?

Comment by mike — March 10, 2007 @ 3:27 pm
  3. Okay, sorry for posting before trying more things :-). I got it working…

First, my model is YP-T9JQB/XAA and I could not find a ‘YP-T9BQB/XAA’ listed on the Samsung site but did find just ‘YP-T9JQB’ and several other similar models. I checked several of the similarly named models and there were really only 2 different firmware versions out there:

Model f/w vers filename size(kb) updated type
    ————————————————————————————————————-
    YP-T9JQB/XAA YP-T9J 1.27 20061221153933484_YP-T9J-FR.ZIP 6,254 2006-12-22 MTP
    YP-T9BQB 1.23 20061113111110562_YP-T9_ver1.23.zip 6,036 2006-11-13 UMS

I downloaded the latter UMS one.

The trick I previously missed is the UMS firmware install directions say put it in the ‘root’ dir (which I could not do), but the MTP firmware install says put the files in the ‘Data’ dir. I was able to copy to the ‘Data’ dir and the firmware was upgraded. Now the player mounts up fine for me (RH4.1).

FWIW, I see *two* scsi devices mounted:

/sdb1 on /media/YP-T9 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,noatime,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,user=msb)
    /dev/sdb2 on /media/YP-T91 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,noatime,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,user=msb)

The files in each are:

YP-T9: Music Photo Pictures Playlists Recorded system Text Video WMPInfo.xml
    YP-T91: nv RecordedList registry rsrc

I copied an MP3 to the ‘Music’ dir and was able to play it from the “Now playing” list. Now I need to figure out if there’s music mgmt s/w that can more intelligently manage the player (I’m new to the MP3 player world).

_Mike

Comment by mike — March 10, 2007 @ 5:06 pm
  4. Mike,
    I’m glad you got it working. I ran into the same problem trying to figure out to which folder to copy the ROM image but I eventually did the same thing that you did.

As for software… I’m a KDE person so I use Amarok. Its great for managing large music libraries and syncing with MP3 players. Unfortunately, the songs will not show up in the the music browser but they are in the file browser. I actually prefer the file browser because the folder structure makes it easier to navigate.

Hope you like the player. I’m definitely pleased with this purchase.

Comment by leon — March 10, 2007 @ 8:13 pm
  5. I had a problem when deleting the files out of the music directory in file browser (using gnome on opensuse 10.2). It first moved all the files over to a folder named “.trash-username” which was accessible on my desktop and also through file browser. when i deleted these tracks out of my “trash” it still only showed 400mb free on the player. Now i cant find any tracks on the device and cant figure out why its only showing 400mb free! im freeekin pissed and trying to work on a solution to this problem, however due to samsungs lack of support theres probably none. ANy ideas?

Comment by alex — March 22, 2007 @ 10:21 pm
  6. Alex, try browsing the devise directory from the command line. Use the “du” command to see what it taking up space. If you can’t find the files, it is possible that the player’s memory got corrupt (this can happen if you don’t unmount properly while copying data to the player). In that case you will have to re-format the device… I have not done this myself though. Good luck.

Comment by leon — March 23, 2007 @ 8:07 pm
  7. I installed the YP-T9BAB firmware on my YP-T9JAB and it worked fine… I can mount under linux and it plays my OGG files. You can get newly added files to appear in the Music browser by doing:
    Settings -> System -> “Library Update” in the player. *but* it only picks up .mp3 files πŸ™ All my .ogg files got listed under unknown artist, unknown album, etc. But as mentioned above the filebrowser is easier to use anyway.

Comment by Doug — April 22, 2007 @ 4:10 pm
  8. Thanks for the tip, Doug. I’ve read that you can rename the .ogg files to .mp3 and the player will still play them. This way the files will also appear in the music library when you do the “Library Update” and the player may even pick up the music tag info as well. I have not tried this myself though so I don’t know if this trick will work with this firmware.

Comment by leon — April 22, 2007 @ 4:42 pm
  9. Samsung Singapore has the latest version of UMS firmware (v.1.67 currently): http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/productsupport/download/FileView.aspx?cttfileid=1370676&type=Digital+Audio+Player(YEPP)&typecode=200600&subtype=Yepp&subtypecode=200601&cmssubtypecode=&model=YP-T9AB/XSP&filetype=FM&language=
    If the link does not work just search downloads section of http://www.samsung.com/sg/
    I’ve flashed my T9; it mounts as a regular UMS device now. Sweet! I will boot into Ubuntu now…

Comment by Peter — April 23, 2007 @ 10:07 pm
  10. I just picked up a T9 today and plugged it into my ubuntu laptop (feisty fawn). The player shows “Usb connected” then immediately “usb disconnected”, over and over. I plugged it into a windows box to upgrade the firmware to 1.68. Then it mounted under ubuntu (but as two devices!) so I copied some ogg files to the music folder. The ogg playback seems buggy, it always hangs with a loud buzzing at the beginning of track 6 of Linkin Park’s Reanimation album (ripped with Sound Juicer). Also there is no gapless support πŸ™ Hopefully Samsung will add gapless as they did to the Z5 player (or so I’ve heard). Now for some reason its back to the connect/disconnect looping. Very interested to hear any similar experiences/solutions.

Comment by ubercoder — May 5, 2007 @ 1:53 am
  11. How do you delete all the music off of the mp3 player? I have a samsung yp-t9 and lost the manual on how to do this. I’ve looked online and haven’t been able to find anything helpful. So my mp3 player is full and I want to start over. Any suggestions? Thank you..Misty..

Comment by Misty — May 6, 2007 @ 4:46 pm
  12. Hi, i’ve just bought a yp-t9…
    Has somebody found a way to convert video to samsung .svi on linux?

@ubercoder: initially i’ve your same problem… I’ve booted my win partition, switched to 1.80 firmware (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15620) with UMS
    and now i can view my yepp as a simple usb pendrive

Byez

Comment by Framp — June 25, 2007 @ 4:40 pm
  13. So I ghetto-fied my YP-T9 so it would work on Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn. Great news, you’re instructions worked!

Hahaha.

Yeah, too bad that’s not all.

I can transfer music fine (spare the fact that I can’t figure out how to get it to show the album art I have from Amarok), BUT after unplug it from the computer I can’t turn the thing on. The only way I can turn it on is if I hold down the power button while it’s still connected to the computer and then unconnect it. Miraculously, it stays on. Why? Heck if I know. BUT then you can’t turn it off unless you use the Record/A–>B + Menu buttons to do a light little wannabe reset.

Suggestions?

I hate to say it, but I’m impatient. It took me forever to get the firmware working, and forums don’t seem to be helping me.

Hope somebody has somethin’! :]

Comment by Rachel — July 11, 2007 @ 10:38 pm
  14. Rachel,
    I had the same problem. First the unit would not shut off and I had to use the Record+Menu reset trick. Then it would freeze while starting up (it would show the Samsung logo but the did not load up to the 3 dot progress bar). Eventually, I was not able to turn the unit on at all.

I think the memory got corrupted. Since the ROM is stored on the same partition as the music, improperly un-mounting the device after coping music may have caused the problem. I sent it back and got a new one in a few days. You have a 1 year warrantee so it’s not much of a hassle.

Comment by leon — July 12, 2007 @ 4:31 pm
  15. Well, that’s awesome. Where did you purchase yours from and how did you go about returning it?

Comment by Rachel — July 15, 2007 @ 8:25 pm
  16. Oh, AND how did you avoid that problem in the future? I don’t want to mess it up twice!

Comment by Rachel — July 15, 2007 @ 8:27 pm
  17. I bought it on Amazon but returned directly to Samsung. Their support site provides a shipping address once you fill out a service ticket. Just send it in and they will try to “fix” it. However, since mine didn’t boot at all, they just replaced it (as stated in their policy). A few tips on sending it in. First, you need to scan in and append the recept to the service ticket as proof of purchase within the warranty period. Also, when sending it in, only ship the player (w/o the accessories or packaging) It makes shipping cheaper and the repair shop doesn’t care for the rest anyway.

I haven’t had any problems with the new (probably refurbished) unit. It think it was all the experimentation with the various Linux libraries that damaged the original. Now, I just mount the player, copy the music, and un-mount. So far so good.

Good luck

Comment by leon — July 15, 2007 @ 9:37 pm
  18. Well, I’m not going to try that again.

I returned mine to BestBuy [and boyyyy was that a hassle]. In fact, in the process of the return, BestBuy decided they would return money onto the old Gift Cards that had been thrown away. Oh was that fun.

After the money gets appropriated I plan on getting a new one. The same one, and dual booting XP for fear of damaging a second one and having to go through all this hassle.

Makes me sad, I love my Ubuntu. :[

Comment by Rachel — July 25, 2007 @ 11:04 pm
  19. If you want to reset the T9, in windows you have to format the T9 like it was a
    drive, it then erases everything and sets up new folders. I’ve got Ubuntu, I was reading this
    page in the process of looking for playlist information.. I’m hoping that I don’t have these difficulties when I’m in
    Ubuntu, which I’m usually in quite often lately..

Comment by Kiernan — August 4, 2007 @ 11:44 pm
  20. Samsung, or asian mp3 player makers pretty much in general need to set aside temporary memory for
    if the firmware update fails.. I come across this problem so much with mp3 players, and there i no
    reason for it..

Comment by Kiernan — August 4, 2007 @ 11:46 pm
  21. I was loving my T9 until it just died! I have no idea what’s wrong, I get no display. I’ve had it for less than 3 months. I thought maybe I just let the battery get really low, but it won’t even display while charging. I bought it in the US, but am living in China now. I think I’ve just lost my money.

Comment by Billy — August 18, 2007 @ 5:25 am
  22. I have one of these too – love it, the only annoyance is that I can’t play music while I’m recharging. does anyone else have this issue?

Comment by Dov — August 22, 2007 @ 12:10 pm
  23. Billy – have you tried to simply reset the player? Push and hold Menu + A-B for a few seconds, then try to switch it back on.

Comment by Jon — August 23, 2007 @ 7:47 am
  24. hey my problem is that i connect it and shows -usb connected- but after a few secs it shows -usb not connected-…and this repeats over & over.. what can i do?..thanx

Comment by pe — October 6, 2007 @ 8:47 am
  25. i have yp-T9j it is stuck/freez on FM i tried resetting it by pressing manue+rec but did not work,if any one have clue pls help thanks

Comment by abdullah — October 14, 2007 @ 10:30 pm
  26. I know I have full battery life but it wont turn on

Comment by Aron — January 24, 2008 @ 9:52 am
  27. pe, this is what happens when its plugged into a linux computer which is switched on before you update the firmware. Have you updated the firmware to the latest ums release? if you have then maybe try a different one. Hope that helps πŸ™‚

Comment by Katy — July 22, 2008 @ 5:39 am
  28. does anyone know how to get the yp-tpjqb/xaa working with windows VISTA…i have tried many times but i dont know how to do it..i try installing the cd and it says i have to have windows xp which is an older version of computer than vista..i plug it it and it says usb connected and windows media player does not find my device..if there is anyone who could help me i would really appreciate it!!

Comment by Jenna — January 1, 2009 @ 6:57 pm
  29. sorry i meant YP-T9JQB/XAA…again anyone who can help i would appreciate it πŸ™‚

Comment by Jenna — January 1, 2009 @ 6:58 pm
  30. i just wish that mp3 players could also have some 10 band equalizers and bass boost functions”~

Comment by Magnesium Ascorbate : — October 29, 2010 @ 1:26 pm
  31. Very good article post.Thanks Again. Fantastic.

Comment by Junior Horan — April 24, 2012 @ 8:14 am