Leon's Weblog

December 10, 2007

WordPress Auto-Login

Filed under: Software Dev — Leon @ 9:31 pm

WordPress is a great blogging engine. It’s flexible, scalable, and easy to tweak/configure to integrate into an existing PHP site. However, if you have an existing site with available user authentication and management capabilities, getting WordPress to accept those credentials (in a single sign-on fashion) can be a bit of a challenge.

Before we proceed, I should note that there are a number of available plugins that enable WordPress to integrate with some of the popular content management systems out there. Our requirement is a bit different however. We want to bypass WordPress’ authentication mechanism all together and have users login through the main portion of the site. In fact, in a well integrated site, the interface should make navigating between WordPress pages and the rest of the site seamless to the user. Our goal is to write a WordPress plug-in that will automatically authenticate a user who is already logged into the parent site (and, consequently, grant the user access to edit the blog’s content). All other users will have the rights of an unregistered visitor.

In my setup, the main site has role-based permissions and the WordPress setup only has one account for each role (i.e. admin, editor, user etc…). The plugin first checks the role of the user logged in to the main site and then simulates a WordPress login anytime the user navigates to the blog. You should be able to customize this method for your own needs.

function auto_login() {
    if (!is_user_logged_in()) {
        //determine WordPress user account to impersonate
        $user_login = 'guest';

//get users password
        $user = new WP_User(0, $user_login);
        $user_pass = md5($user->user_pass);

//login, set cookies, and set current user
        wp_login($user_login, $user_pass, true);
        wp_setcookie($user_login, $user_pass, true);
        wp_set_current_user($user->ID, $user_login);
add_action('init', 'auto_login');

Additional notes and caveats for the attentive reader

• There is a wp-include/pluggable.php file that defines all the functions that you can override and hook into. The WordPress API documentation is not very thorough so you may need to review the actual code.
  • WordPress uses a double MD5 hash of the password to authenticate the user. In the database, the password is stored as a single hash. We need to hash that password again before passing it into the wp_login() function (and set the third parameter to indicate that the password is already hashed). Obviously hard coding the actual password would be a big no-no.

We did all this work to login but what about logging out? We have several options. First, we can call WordPress’ logout method which is wp_clearcookie() from the main site.  The drawback to this approach is that we need to include all the WordPress libraries into our main site for this to work (too much unnecessary overhead IMHO). The other approach is to not use cookies at all thus alleviating the need to logout. To do this we simply remove the call to wp_setcookie() in out plugin and override the auth_redirect() function to do nothing. This works because we impersonate the user on every page load and the only WordPress code that checks the cookie was in auth_redirect() until we got rid of it. Another side effect of this is that un-authenticated WordPress users will no longer be taken to the WordPress login page (but we didn’t want that anyway).

Update 6/4/08: There were a few changes to the WordPress API as of version 2.5 and some of the functions I used above became depreciated. The API documentation has also improved. A better way to implement the auto_login() function above is as follows.

function auto_login() {
    if (!is_user_logged_in()) {
        //determine WordPress user account to impersonate
        $user_login = 'guest';

//get user's ID
        $user = get_userdatabylogin($user_login);
        $user_id = $user->ID;

//login
        wp_set_current_user($user_id, $user_login);
        wp_set_auth_cookie($user_id);
        do_action('wp_login', $user_login);
add_action('init', 'auto_login');

Update 4/15/13: WordPress’ popularity is making it a target for security attacks. At least this is the news that has been floating around lately. It is a good idea to create your own user accounts and delete the default accounts that come with WordPress. This (and strong passwords) will make it harder for scripted, brute force attacks on your site. Don’t forget to update the AutoLogin script accordingly. Here is a quick guide for deleting the admin account without loosing your posts.

89 Comments »

1. I’ve been searching for this auto-login feature for a while. Thanks for the help! ;)

Comment by Mateus — March 27, 2008 @ 10:00 pm
  2. Thanks a ton for the tip

Comment by Santosh — May 28, 2008 @ 12:26 pm
  3. I have been trying to figure out the auto login feature for a while. I am not a php programmer at all. The website I developed that I want to tie into the blog is in flash. I want to auto login in the background when a link is clicked from the Flash website.

I looked at your code above and it looks interesting but how do I implement it?

Thanks,

Rob

Comment by Rob McFaul — September 24, 2008 @ 8:00 am
  4. Rob, Save the auto_login() function in a .php file and place it in your WordPress plugins folder. You will have to enable the plugin using the WordPress configuration page. Good Luck.

Comment by leon — September 24, 2008 @ 11:01 am
  5. Thanks. I am still confused slightly. I can pass variables from Flash to a PHP page. I want to send your plugin the User Name and Password from Flash.

I am still not able to figure how to make that work with your script.

Thanks,

Rob

Comment by Rob McFaul — September 24, 2008 @ 6:42 pm
  6. Hello there,
    I was just wondering, will this plugin work if the main site that the users are using to login is a .NET site? if not what shall I do to get it to work?
    Thanks,

Kaly

Comment by Kaly — October 16, 2008 @ 6:16 pm
  7. Kaly,
    The plugin will work as long as you can pass the desired user name and password to it. You can do this from .Net, Java, Flash or even CGI although its much easier if you use PHP. For a .Net site, why not use a native blog engine like BlogEngine.Net?

Comment by leon — October 16, 2008 @ 6:27 pm
  8. Thanks for the reply Leon,
    Well I’m not a PHP programmer, I’m a .NET developer, and I’m doing that for a client of mine, the reason why I can’t use BlogEngine is simply because the client wants wordpress!
    Anyway, I’ll try this plugin, and I’ll let you know if it works or not :)
    Thanks!
    Kaly

Comment by Kaly — October 17, 2008 @ 3:27 am
  9. I’m trying to implement this feature,

though somehow it gives errors,

I don’t have the password though, but it sets the cookies that are required,
    yet they are somehow different.

My script is however not included in the wp scripting, its a side-script
    to auto logon a user trough Active Directory.

wp_cache_init();
    $user = get_userdatabylogin($sUserName);
    $user_id = $user->ID;
    wp_set_current_user($user_id, $sUserName);
    wp_set_auth_cookie($user_id);
    do_action(‘wp_login’, $sUserName);

It does not generate any errors, and gives a cookie, but the cookie is incorrect.

Comment by Patrick — October 27, 2008 @ 9:30 am
  10. Hi,
    as first thanks for this tiny script. But how could I change this script? – I’ve got in my first site session-based login. I would like to pass-through the user without having a login-screen generated by wordpress?
    Thanks!

Comment by Martin — December 1, 2008 @ 2:26 pm
  11. Martin, thats exactly what the script does. You just need to change the user names to match you site/WordPress setup. Good Luck.

Comment by leon — December 1, 2008 @ 3:29 pm
  12. hi,
    Another smilar question needs your advice.

I’m using WPMU, and I want to know how many times each user signs in.

function test() {
    //global $current_user;
    //echo $current_user->ID;
    $user = wp_get_current_user();
    echo $user->ID;
    //update_usermeta($current_user->ID,’hook_test’,$_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]);
    add_action(‘wp_login’, ‘test’);

But here I can’t get current user’s ID, any suggestions?

Comment by copper — December 13, 2008 @ 1:22 am
  13. Duuude, I wasted so much time mucking around with pluggable.php before reading your post. This solution saved me! Bonus: Now I understand the basics behind WP plug-ins. Seems to work great with WordPress 2.6.5, thanks again!

Comment by Jeff — December 17, 2008 @ 1:20 pm
  14. thanks for help.

Comment by neelakshi — January 20, 2009 @ 1:49 am
  15. Hi Rob,

I save the auto_login() function in the pluggable.php file and create a form to pass the values (see below) however nothing happen. Please Help.

My code in the pluggable.php is:

function auto_login() {
    if (!is_user_logged_in()) {
    //determine WordPress user account to impersonate
    $user_login = ‘guest’;

//get user’s ID
    $user = get_userdatabylogin($user_login);
    $user_id = $user->ID;

//login
    wp_set_current_user($user_id, $user_login);
    wp_set_auth_cookie($user_id);
    do_action(‘wp-login’, $user_login);

add_action(‘wp-login’, ‘auto_login’);

The code of the file with the form located in the my site root directory is,

<?php
    echo ”;
    echo ”;
    echo ‘Username:’;
    echo ”;
    echo ‘Password:’;
    echo ”;
    echo ”;
    echo ”;
    echo ”;
    ?>

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Javier

Comment by Javier — January 29, 2009 @ 6:28 pm
  16. Sorry, I can’t post html code. But is basically a normal form with two fields (user_login & user_pass) and the action is pointing to “blog/wp-login.php”.

Comment by Javier — January 29, 2009 @ 6:49 pm
  17. Hi Leon!

Thanks for the tip! But – do you use this in practice? There are some problems that I have encountered:
    1) if you use function wp_insert_user() you need to use this line:
    require_once( ABSPATH . WPINC . ‘/registration.php’);
    2) how do you disable all of the login/logout/register stuff? I will cope with it tomorrow, I’ll try to find the hooks and redirect in them to my login/logout/register pages. Is there an easier way?

I’m not sure if my idea is the same as yours – I’m using the code to login the user on each and every WP page he comes to. If the user does not exist in WP, I create his username on the spot.

Any idea on point 2?

Thanks, nice work!

Comment by Andrew — February 9, 2009 @ 1:09 pm
  18. Andrew,
    I think the function that I use only gets called once when the WordPress loads. I didn’t have to deal with the registration issues.

Comment by leon — February 9, 2009 @ 1:55 pm
  19. Leon, thanks for the answer!

I have solved it by making a redirect to my login/logout/forgotpass/register pages. Not extensible, but I couldn’t find a nicer way.

Right now I’m having “fun” with set_role()… Looks like another long night ahead of me. :)

Thanks, enjoy!
    (btw., your comment was not e-mailed to me – I guess that is on purpose? :) )

Comment by Andrew — February 10, 2009 @ 5:43 am
  20. Just wanted to say thanks for the code. Works beautifully for me.

Comment by Jason Coleman — March 30, 2009 @ 1:41 pm
  21. [...] WordPress Auto Login Leon Weblog Posted by root 21 hours ago (http://www.lbsharp.com) How to add auto login functionality to your wordpress site filed under software dev leon 9 31 pm wordpressis a great blogging engine it flexible scalable and easy to btw your comment was not e mailed to me i guess that is on purpose all rights reserved po Discuss  |  Bury |  News | wordpress auto login leon weblog [...]

22. Hi Leon,

I’ve been searching for auto-login feature for a week. Thanks a million!

It works properly but it always login automatically without loggin in.
    In my custom login, I save the username as $_SESSION['uname'] = $rs["usr_name"];.
    Can I change your code as bellow:
    $user_login = $_SESSION['uname'];

But I still don’t know how to do for registration.
    Thanks again.

Comment by Wai Wai — May 27, 2009 @ 10:56 pm
  23. After much googling I was beginning to think that it would be better to actually dissect the WordPress libraries. That was, until I found your post!

My application is a bit different, but this did the trick. Thanks for working hard to make this.

Comment by Richard Buczynski — June 7, 2009 @ 9:16 am
  24. On a side note, I noticed that you’re from Belarus. I’m from Buffalo, New York, and I have a community of friends from the same area. Great people!

Comment by Richard Buczynski — June 7, 2009 @ 9:17 am
  25. [...] WordPress Auto Login Leon Weblog Posted by root 9 minutes ago (http://www.lbsharp.com) How to add auto login functionality to your wordpress site comment by rob mcfaul september 24 2008 8 00 am rob save the auto login function in a php file and place it in your all rights reserved powered by wordpress Discuss  |  Bury |  News | WordPress Auto Login Leon Weblog [...]

26. tq for a useful post

Comment by AARP — June 27, 2009 @ 7:57 pm
  27. [...] -function reacted differently depending on whether or not a user was logged in or not, so I found the code that automatically logged in a user, which I then added to the top of my PHP-script, and voila, the problem was [...]

28. I don?t normally comment on blogs but your post was a real call to action. Thank you for a great read, I will be sure to bookmark your site and check in now and again.

Comment by Micheal Jane — July 2, 2009 @ 1:08 am
  29. worked a treat, cheers!

Comment by adrock42 — July 24, 2009 @ 2:17 am
  30. Thank you so much.

I will use it for an open-publishing wordpress version, coming soon.

Comment by juan — August 11, 2009 @ 1:29 pm
  31. Hi,

Thanks for the information,just found this post my technorati news feed section! I was searching for this since past 3 months and i am glad to see it here. Thanking you much

Martin

Comment by Water ionizer — August 12, 2009 @ 11:31 pm
  32. I want a autologin feature for admin section so that when admin logs in, he gets logged to the blog automatically.

How to implement this….

Pls help…

Comment by Mainak Banerjee — December 24, 2009 @ 12:03 am
  33. Mainak,
    That is exactly what the post explains how to do. You need to create a generic admin account in WordPress and use the code provided to log a given user in once you determine that the user should have admin privileges.

Comment by leon — December 25, 2009 @ 6:05 pm
  34. Perfect ! I wanted to realised an open-publishing wordpress site and its exactly what I needed. Thank you so much !

Comment by yo — January 8, 2010 @ 6:55 pm
  35. A last thing : do you now how to logout automatically on window closing ?

Detail : I have a popup that redirect to post-new.php with autologin, and I would like to logout on closing this popup. Any idea ?

Thanks !

Comment by yo — January 8, 2010 @ 6:58 pm
  36. I wrote an earlier post on managing users in PHP. It may help you with what you are looking to do. Depending on your desired level of security, the session timeout may be good enough as an auto-logout mechanism. See http://www.lbsharp.com/wordpress/index.php/2005/10/13/php-application-framework-design-2-managing-users/

Comment by leon — January 8, 2010 @ 11:43 pm
  37. Thanks for the information about auto-login feature. Nice blog i like it.

Comment by Rainbow Skill — January 18, 2010 @ 2:35 am
  38. [...] ???: WordPress Auto-Login | Leon’s Weblog. [...]

Pingback by WordPress Auto-Login | Leon’s Weblog | ????????? — February 12, 2010 @ 8:34 pm
  39. Hi Leon, Thanks a bunch for putting this together. I have implemented your code and it works like a charm to give registered users in the main site an automatic login to the WordPress blog as administrator.

My question is – Can the code be set up to grab each users individual login details and pass that information automatically to the WordPress login? i.e Jane Doe logs in to the main site and wishes to post on the forum as Jane Doe (as opposed to admin).

Thank you in advance, you have already done more than enough providing this code and forum. I will keep tinkering but before i start tearing my hair out i thought i would ask the man who engineered the original solution.

Comment by Paul — February 24, 2010 @ 8:36 am
  40. Paul,

The least elegant solution to your problem is to simply create a Jane Doe account in WordPress as well as in your user management system. Using my code you can tell WordPress which user should be logged in (as long as there is a Wordress account available for that user). A more elegant solution would be to integrate the authentication process so that all users’ credentials will be in the same table. Implementing this, however, is much more involved.

Good luck, Leon

Comment by leon — February 24, 2010 @ 10:41 am
  41. Hi Leon, Thanks for the speedy reply =)

At the moment i have everything running off the one login/authentication table (based off the WordPress wp_users table); which looks to be where i am running into complications. I will try and separate the login into Site login and WordPress login and see if i can get the less elegant solution operational while i keep trying to get everything working cleanly off the one login system.

Although i may have to mimic each user in both tables the solution my be all that is needed for a small user base. I will keep you posted on how things go. Thanks again.

Comment by Paul — February 24, 2010 @ 9:42 pm
  42. Works beautifully for me with WordPress2.9. Thanks a lot. BTW, I am planning to make it autologin depending on different current user not just guest or admin account.

Comment by shallwelin — March 4, 2010 @ 5:28 am
  43. Thank you for this code.

I would like to be automatically logged in as “admin” et put in functions.php this code :

function auto_login() {
    if (!is_user_logged_in()) {
    $user_login = ‘admin’;
    $user = get_userdatabylogin($user_login);
    $user_id = $user->ID;
    wp_set_current_user($user_id, $user_login);
    wp_set_auth_cookie($user_id);
    do_action(‘wp_login’, $user_login);
    add_action(‘init’, ‘auto_login’);

but it doesn’t work. I don’t have any errors, only a blank page.
    It should work no? (wp 2.9.2)

Comment by Thierry — March 4, 2010 @ 10:16 am
  44. My error is Call to undefined function add_action()

But this function is used in WP elsewhere…

Comment by Thierry — March 4, 2010 @ 10:25 am
  45. one problem is that you can’t normally logout by clicking the logout link in wordpress after inserting the code in pluggable.php. when you click back through browser’s go back button after logout, you still can do any action.

Comment by shallwelin — March 5, 2010 @ 12:42 am
  46. Leon, thank you so much, you saved me hours and hours of frustration!

Comment by Reine — March 23, 2010 @ 6:13 pm
  47. Can you pull in external script WordPress user system this way?

To check if he’s logged in and show something like “Welcome %usersname% ” ?

I’m noob when it comes to WordPress coding.

I see code it’s for auto-loggin, but If I wanna check outside WP if user is logged in in WordPress…can it be done?

Thank you!

Comment by Marius Patrascu — April 23, 2010 @ 7:14 am
  48. Thanks a lot for the piece of code. Got into instant action on my blog.

Comment by Amol — July 4, 2010 @ 10:34 pm
  49. I just used this (updated) code for a single sign on solution and it worked!! thanks so much, it saved me paying 67$ for a premium plugin because I wanted just that single feature.

I hooked it into the wp action and modified it a bit to use the user name stored in a session var and woopy-doo, it auto logs on a user if they’ve already logged on to the other site using the same username . wo0t! :-)

Comment by Andy Bailey — July 10, 2010 @ 1:31 pm
  50. Thanks a lot for this code, but I am trying to make it work on wordpress 3 with difficulties. How can I proceed?

Comment by Samuel Anyaele — July 30, 2010 @ 1:45 pm
  51. Samuel, I haven’t tried the plug-in under WP 3. The API may have changed. When I get a chance to upgrade my site I’ll post an update if anything changes.

Comment by leon — July 30, 2010 @ 5:40 pm
  52. Sorry, tinkered around, and realized it’s my oversight (expecting sessions to be carried over from main site to sub-sites). Thank you very much, the script now works, and thanks for responding. At least you know yours will work when you decide to upgrade to WP 3.

Comment by Samuel Anyaele — July 31, 2010 @ 10:38 am
  53. Hi,its a gr8 idea for auto login.and its working fine when i use $user_login = ‘admin’ static;
    I have integrated wordpress on my site and created this auto_login in plugins but i need to pass username from site login dynamically please Help.

Comment by paramjit — August 2, 2010 @ 2:26 am
  54. thanks a lot…. u saved my time…

Comment by sunil — September 16, 2010 @ 2:55 am
  55. I’m new to this but where does this script go and what script does it replace?

Comment by Rich — September 19, 2010 @ 11:17 pm
  56. Hey Samuel Anyaele

May I request you to kindly share the code how you got it working on WordPress 3.0

I am also having issues getting this to work.

Thanks in advance

Comment by Vikram — October 19, 2010 @ 8:20 am
  57. Thanks for this wonderful piece of code. I have been looking for it for a while. Only question I have is how are you passing $user_login to auto_login method or to this plugin. I have wrodpress installed as one of sub-domains and my parent site is java/j2ee based.

Comment by Vikalp — October 30, 2010 @ 6:12 am
  58. good piece of code, one thing:

logs the user in, when you click site admin from the theme front page it goes to wp-admin/ fine, but if you try to directly access /wp-admin/ it sends a redirect to the login form, using 3.0.1 wordpress.

any ideas?

Comment by chris — October 30, 2010 @ 11:05 am
  59. Hi.
    I found this at time when I need it.

If I point to /wp-admin then it redirect to login page. when you visit site and then click on My Admin then it login to website.
    I found that cookie are not set in first case, when you point to page first then cookie are set and you can login to admin area.

example:
    Use FF clear cookie, point browser to wp-login.php and check cookie, now you will see entry for login cookie, then you can point to wp-admin and you will be in.

Any idea how to login directly to admin area?

Comment by Mariusz — November 9, 2010 @ 11:14 pm
  60. Leon, thanks for this information. It’s helpful as I am looking for ways to login through external php scripts to the WordPress engine.

Comment by Richard Cummings — November 29, 2010 @ 8:09 am
  61. [...] WordPress Auto Login Function Posted by Soul on December 11, 2010 Leave a comment (0) Go to comments auto login a wordpress user function View Source or Documentation [...]

Pingback by WordPress Auto Login Function | The Code Library — December 11, 2010 @ 11:38 am
  62. Thanks a lot. It was very useful.

Comment by vito spericolato — December 15, 2010 @ 10:17 am
  63. Real good post, great to hear about your experience

Comment by Jogn — December 18, 2010 @ 1:31 pm
  64. Hi,
    I want to autologin everybody that click on links (that lead to my site) on a certain URL. So, If a link to my page is published on http://www.domain.com the person clicking it should be logged in autoamtically with a certain user.

If the same link is somewhere else the one who clicks it shall not be logged in.

Any suggestions on how to do this? Possible?
    many thanks.
    /Ola

Comment by Ola Karlsson — January 25, 2011 @ 3:20 pm
  65. thanks for this information. It’s helpful as I am looking for ways to login through external php scripts to the WordPress engine

Comment by onceso — February 4, 2011 @ 8:48 am
  66. Hi Leon!

You have a lot of awesome information on this blog. Thank you for sharing it. Like one of the posts above, I’m trying to pass a user name and password from a .Net site to a WordPress 3.1+ site. I would like to use the functionality above but don’t know which session variables on the .Net site to use. If the .Net site sends me an encrypted user name and password, can I decrypt it by placing the encryption code from the .Net site into the PHP?

Thanks in advance for any information,
    Linda

Comment by Linda — March 25, 2011 @ 7:56 pm
  67. Linda, it depends on how important security is to the site because you will have to store the authentication credentials in an inherently insecure location (e.g. inside the page as a post/get variable or in a secure cookie).

Comment by leon — March 25, 2011 @ 8:28 pm
  68. Leon,

Assuming that we can work around that acceptably, how does the .Net code talk to the WordPress PHP code in order to exchange the user information. Another developer in my company works with the .Net environment. I am a technical writer working with WordPress. Are there system variales known by both .Net and WordPress/PHP? For example:

.Net moves username and user password to $variable1 and $variable2 respectively.
    WordPress PHP reads $variable1 and $variable2 values into $_Postvar1 and $_Postvar2 respectively.

Comment by Linda — March 28, 2011 @ 5:58 am
  69. Linda, to my knowledge there is no built in way to have PHP and .Net code communicate. However, you can build this yourself. For example, if you view the HTML output of a .Net page you will see the hidden “__VIEWSTATE” control. You can create a parser to translate this encoded information in PHP. Or, simply create another hidden variable in the page that both .Net and PHP and access (you may want to encrypt this information).

Comment by leon — March 28, 2011 @ 2:48 pm
  70. [...] lbsharp.com Share and Enjoy: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and [...]

Pingback by Enable WordPress Auto-Login | TechniTip.Net — March 31, 2011 @ 1:42 pm
  71. Hi Leon.

Thanks for your posting of the auto login. But I am afraid I cannot get it to work. I have put it in a .php file and placed it in the plugins directory and activated it via the admin tool. I have changed $user_login = $_SESSION['MM_MemberID']; which contains the id of the site use which is also the WP id. I am unclear as to how to get it to execute. I have an iFrame that has a link: The only thing that happens is the Hello World page comes up and then I have to click the Log In link that takes me to the login page where I have to input my id and pw. I sure woudld appreciate some of your kindness in helping me to get this auto login to work. I know I am doing something stupid but I need a WP guru like you to point it out. Thanks. Tombo.

Comment by Tombo — April 22, 2011 @ 6:08 pm
  72. Nevermind! I figured it out. My session variables were empty due to not establishing a session under WP before I referenced them.

Comment by Tombo — April 22, 2011 @ 7:38 pm
  73. Hi Leon, Tombo, and everybody,

Tombo, I had the same experience that you have described above, how you solved the problem of session variables?

How to establish a session with wp before refered it, i´m using xml rpc calls to access functions exposes through wp, i can add a user, list, update, but a i can´t login a user, i don´t know why,

I thank you,

Comment by Fabricio — May 29, 2011 @ 12:45 pm
  74. hello

i try to us your code on wp 3.01 put dont make it work

i am looking for an auto login from another site, not wordpress.
    juste one user is ok

thank

Comment by charly — July 27, 2011 @ 9:48 am
  75. i tried it also but don’t work in new version 3.2.1
    plz can u tell me the exact problem or anything i missed?

my role was one pass for one time login.

thanks

Comment by Monjurul Hoque — November 29, 2011 @ 1:42 pm
  76. I just implemented this into my plugin. Running WP 3.3 and BuddyPress 1.5.2 Took me all but 5 mins.

It works great! I need to tweak it to get it to thoroughly authenticate in BuddyPress, but it got me to a 98% completion in 5 minutes time. I have been searching for days on the right action hooks to use and came up empty at all turns.

Excellent script Leon! Thanks.

Comment by Ed — January 11, 2012 @ 2:49 pm
  77. Hi

How can this script be modified to detect the username of the person logged onto the computer (i.e. network username) so that it can be used against a WPMU site username to automate login ?

Any help would be great

Comment by DJW — January 12, 2012 @ 7:14 am
  78. Thank you so much.
    It work great in my case. You saved my hours….

Comment by Moiz Shabbir — January 31, 2012 @ 10:18 am
  79. I am relatively new to PHP Scripting. How do I implement this function. Thanks

Comment by Charles — February 4, 2012 @ 6:19 am
  80. Hi Leon,

This is perfect and I’m so close to doing what I want it to do. The only thing is that I want to pull the username from the URL using $_GET, but when replacing the string ‘admin’ with the same string ‘admin’ from my $_GET variable, it doesn’t work. Very strange… I know I must be missing something.

function auto_login() {
    // this works perfectly
    $user_login = ‘admin’;

// this does not work even when setting the same variable via query string ?user=admin
    // $user_login = $_GET['user'];

//get user’s ID
    $user = get_userdatabylogin($user_login);
    $user_id = $user->ID;

//login
    wp_set_current_user($user_id, $user_login);
    wp_set_auth_cookie($user_id);
    do_action(‘wp_login’, $user_login);
    add_action(‘init’, ‘auto_login’);

Would you mind giving me a tip if you see anything? Thanks in advance for your help!

Ted

Comment by Ted — February 18, 2012 @ 10:09 pm
  81. Hi Ted,

You probably don’t want to store the user name in the query string. Even if this worked, anyone could just pass in the user name to the page and get authenticated. I think the reason why this approach doesn’t work is that the query string is not available at the time WordPress loads the plugins.

That said, I would store the username in the $_SESSION variable so that it will be available anywhere. Don’t forget to start the session before using the variable. The following reference will help: http://www.php.net/manual/en/book.session.php

Good luck,
    Leon

Comment by leon — February 19, 2012 @ 10:37 am
  82. Ted, I was just wondering today for the first time if something like this was possible. Your post made it a reality and works well for programmatic entering of a single user name. Have you figured out the session implementation?

Comment by Greg — February 27, 2012 @ 1:43 am
  83. Thank you very much Ted – this work like a charm
    have a good day

arne

Comment by arne — April 10, 2012 @ 6:34 am
  84. How come will not the hyperlinks on the top bar of the website webpage that post a comment work for me? Appreciate it

Comment by Marilynn Walkers — April 28, 2012 @ 6:06 pm
  85. Hi, thanks for the post!!
    One question: How will I share the username from my external page to the auto_login() function?
    I tried
    session_start();
    $_SESSION['test']=’admin’;
    in the first page and
    session_start();
    echo $_SESSION['test'];
    in auto_login function, but nothing is displayed on the screen..

Comment by Kostas — May 29, 2012 @ 9:27 am
  86. Hello, I am new to wordpress. So i don’t know how to deal with this function. I know PHP. So would you please tell me the step by step procedure for getting worked this code. And another question is that do i need to change the code in my existing php website for getting this plugin work?

Thanks in advanced.

Comment by Mandi — August 27, 2012 @ 6:29 am
  87. [...] Function Reference/wp signon WordPress Auto-Login [...]

Pingback by WordPress??????????? – ???? — May 16, 2013 @ 1:55 am
  88. This does the job nicely:

Auto Login to WordPress site – maintains cookie and session (persistent)
    * Do not try to use CURL to do this as that’s on the server side cannot pass cookies to the browser client.

Comment by Al — November 28, 2013 @ 11:10 pm

//login, set cookies, and set current user
    wp_set_auth_cookie($user_login, $user_pass, true);
    wp_set_current_user($user->ID, $user_login);
    wp_signon($user_login, $user_pass, true);

}*/
    // Automatic login //
    $username = (isset($_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'])) ? $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'] : $_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_USER'] . “@SPECTRUMASA.COM”;
    $user = get_user_by(‘login’, $username );

// Redirect URL //
    if ( !is_wp_error( $user ) )
    {
    wp_clear_auth_cookie();
    wp_set_current_user ( $user->ID );
    wp_set_auth_cookie ( $user->ID );

//$redirect_to = user_admin_url();
    //wp_safe_redirect( $redirect_to );
    //exit();

if (!is_user_logged_in()) {
    $user_login = (isset($_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'])) ? $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'] : $_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_USER'] . “@DOMAIN.COM”;
    $user = get_userdatabylogin($user_login);
    $user_id = $user->ID;
    wp_set_current_user($user_id, $user_login);
    wp_set_auth_cookie($user_id);
    do_action(‘wp_login’, $user_login);

add_action(‘init’, ‘auto_login’);

However when i clear memcache and cache files and open my site i see the cache log saying i am anonymous user. I am using plugins: supercache, memcache, http-authentication, members only.

Comment by sharif — April 10, 2014 @ 5:33 am